Job Title – Optical Research and Development Engineer
Job Location – Bristol, UK
Employment Type – Full Time
Sintela is a fast-growing company working at the forefront of fibre-optic sensing and we are looking to expand our research and development support base.
As an Optical Research and Development Engineer you will work closely with the Research team, working on concepts and ideas to develop the next generation of products. You will be involved at every stage of the development cycle, from theoretical investigations of new ideas, numerical simulation of concept systems and signal processing schemes, designing, constructing and performing laboratory experiments and taking successful concepts through to a field demonstrable prototype stage and at an advisory level when handing over to the product development team to ensure key requirements are captured in the product design.
We are highly driven by market requirements, hence time to product is of importance. We are looking for an individual who is enthusiastic, who will ensure that high standards are maintained and can work within a deadline. You will be encouraged to patent your ideas and present optical concepts clearly to your colleagues, customers and occasionally at conferences.
This is a multidisciplinary role and a suitable candidate may initially only have partial experience in these fields but should be willing to learn in the role and expand their responsibilities.
- Theoretical investigations of new distributed optical sensing ideas
- Numerical simulation of concept optical systems and signal processing schemes
- Design, commissioning and performance of laboratory-based experiments and investigation of novel distributed optical sensing methods
- Design, commissioning of field demonstrable test prototypes
- Documentation of work
- Patenting of novel ideas
- Background in optical systems, distributed sensing optical systems preferred
- Ideally experience in DAS, DTS, DTSS or similar
- Familiarity with digital signal processing techniques used in optical sensing
- Experience in Matlab, C, C++ or other high-level language
- Work well under pressure and tight deadlines
- Optical fibre Fusion Splicing
- Electronics, assembly design and debug
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Successful Candidate should have a degree in a technical subject such as Physics or Engineering, preferably at a post graduate level.
Salary in line with experience